The Writer in Black

The Writer in Black

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Feeding the Active Writer

I do a lot of different variations on meatloaf.  Previously, I did an "italian meatloaf" that was pretty good.  I've just developed a new recipe that falls under the "ridiculously easy" category.

My wife likes to have spaghetti and meat sauce from time to time.  I can't eat the spaghetti, of course, but she suggested I could have the sauce with something else.  So, reading labels in the Italian foods aisle I discovered a brand (local or national, I don't know) "Rao's" that was quite low in sugars and net carbs.

I was planning a meat loaf to portion out and take as my lunches to work the last time my wife asked me to do the spaghetti thing and I had a thought.  I bought a second jar of the spaghetti sauce to use in place of the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, etc., I previously used in my "Italian meatloaf."

So, Italian Meatloaf II (or, as I like to call it, "Spaghetti and Meat Loaf").

Ingredients:

3 lb lean ground beef.
4 eggs
1 28 oz jar Rao's (or other low sugar/carb) pasta sauce
2 cups flax meal (optional, use whole flax seed for a somewhat different texture).
Optional, 1 cup shredded mozzarella and Romano cheeses.

Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl.  It really is easiest to just get in with your hands (gloves save a mess of washing up here).
Put the mixed ingredients into a 4-5 quart slow cooker.  Cook on low 8-10 hours.
If using the cheeses, spread them over the top while the meatloaf is still hot and let them melt.

Since I do this for lunches, I let it cool thoroughly before removing from the slow cooker.  It's easier to handle cool than still hot.  Divide into eight portions, place each portion in a freezer container and freeze.

Enjoy.

_____________________________________________________________

Are you ready for a zombie apocalypse?  How about a zombie apocalypse in space?

If the idea intrigues you, you might like Plague Station:



No comments:

Post a Comment