The Writer in Black

The Writer in Black

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Feeding the Active Writer

I know, I've been horribly remiss in doing these.  The embarrassing truth is that I've got enough recipes that I tend to reuse them a lot rather than finding/coming up with new ones.  Just laziness on my part (but that's part of that whole "active writer" thing).

Anyway, here's a new one:

super easy slow cooker chili con carne.


I was going to make a meatloaf but turns out we were out of eggs and I just didn't feel like running to the store. So I came up with this instead. No beans because it's low carb. Of course, purists will say that beans have no business in chili anyway. ;)
  • 3-4 lbs of extra lean ground beef.
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
  • 1 14 oz can of diced tomato--_undrained_
  • 2 16 Oz jars of medium salsa (hotter or milder to taste)
  • 1 Tbsp chipotle chili powder (again, to taste)
  • 1 Tbsp ground coriander.
  • 1/2 Tbsp oregano.
I would normally add about a Tbsp of ground cumin as well but, again, I was out.

Mix the ingredients in a large mixing bowl. I generally find it's best to get in with your hands and squish it all together.  Rubber/plastic gloves keeps things cleaner.

Pour the mix in a 4 quart slow cooker.

Cook on low 6-8 hours.

Serve topped with cheese or just like it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment