The Writer in Black

The Writer in Black

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Feeding the Active Writer

I use a lot of spices and seasonings in my cooking.  I find that as I get older stronger flavors appeal to me more.  Still, sometimes I like a fairly basic dish where the flavors of the base ingredients stand on their own.  So here's a dish for that:

Creamy Chicken and Mushrooms.

4-5 lb boneless skinless chicken.
1 Tbsp xanthum gum
1 cup chopped onion
2 cup heavy cream
16 oz chopped mushrooms (I use "mini-bellas")

Place the chicken in a 4-5 quart slow cooker.  As you're adding it, sprinkle the xanthum gum over it.
Add the chopped onion on top of the chicken.
Cook about 8 hours on low.
Turn off the slow cooker.
While the contents are still hot, stir in the heavy cream and mushrooms.  The chicken should break up while stirring.
The residual heat will cook the mushrooms.
Serve warm or portion and freeze for later use.

Note that this makes a pretty big batch as I generally make a week or more's worth of these things.  You can probably cut the recipe in half without problems, just cut the cooking time by an hour or two.

While enjoying the above recipe, you may also enjoy my story "The Spaewife":

No comments:

Post a Comment