The Writer in Black

The Writer in Black

Sunday, January 25, 2015

Feeding the Active Writer

Once upon a time I used to love watching movies, big tub of popcorn in hand.

These days, of course, that's not possible.  I can still watch movies and there are a few that are actually worth watching (may I recommend the Marvel Cinematic Universe?).  But popcorn?  Way too much carbs.

Not just the popcorn.  Nothing at the local theaters is safe for me to eat.  Even the chicken strips and mozzarella sticks are breaded with pure carbs. (What's with all this stuff?  When I was growing up it was popcorn, candy, and sodas.  That was it. Kids today....)

So, I came up with my own snack.  Carb free popcorn chicken.

Of course I most theaters are posted "no outside food or drink" and I woudn't publicly endorse anybody breaking those rules but, you know, if you have a medical reason why you can't eat what they provide but do have to eat on a regular basis, well, that rule could probably be challenged under the ADA.  I'm not a lawyer so don't take that as legal advice.

Still, here's my very simple recipe.

Ingredients:
2-3 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 1/4" cubes.
1-2 eggs lightly beaten.
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (the real cheese, not the cheese flavored stuff).

Preheat over to 350 degrees Fahrenheit  (about 175C)
Take a small handful of the chicken pieces and roll them in the egg, mixing until the pieces are each completely covered with egg.  Remove the chicken from the egg and let them drain on a strainer so that excess drips back into the container with the egg.

Roll the egg coated chicken pieces in the cheese, breaking up clumps until each piece is evenly covered with the cheese.

Spread the chicken pieces in a single layer on a foil covered cookie sheet.

Repeat until all the cheese has been coated or until there is no more room on the cookie sheet.

Place in the preheated oven and back for 15 minutes or until the cheese starts to brown.

Let cool slightly, then transfer to a bowl or other container.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment