The Writer in Black

The Writer in Black

Monday, October 6, 2014

Feeding the Active Writer

Another holiday piece.

Cranberry sauce was one of my holiday treats growing up.  If I had an objection to it, it was that it was a bit tart for my taste or, if sweetened enough to counteract the tartness, was so cloying sweet that I could only eat small amounts.

Cranberries are great because they have a lot of fiber, very low net carbs, and little sugar.  Of course, that also means that without being sweetened, they're almost inedible.  Fortunately, I get by well with several artificial sweeteners and sucralose is my sweetener of course so I can still enjoy cranberry sauce without the sugar.

But there's that problem with the tartness.  Fortunately, there is a solution:

Port Wine Cranberry Sauce.

Ingredients
1 12 oz bag fresh cranberries. (You can use them frozen as well.  Since, depending on your locale, they can be hard to find outside the holiday season you can stock up and toss extra packs into the freezer.)
1/2 cup port wine
1/2 cup water
1 cup sugar equivalent sweetener (I use sucralose that is one for one)
1 tsp xanthum gum.

Add the cranberries, port wine, water, and sucralose to a saucepan.
Heat over medium heat until boiling and the sweetener is dissolved.
While stirring, sprinkle in the xanthum gum.
Continue to boil until the cranberries pop, about 4-5 minutes usually.

Let the sauce cool, serve, and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment