The Writer in Black

The Writer in Black

Monday, May 12, 2014

Feeding the active writer 2

I am a type 2 (insulin resistant) diabetic.  I also have a major sweet tooth.  Fortunately, for me, I tolerate a number of artificial sweeteners well.  The problem is most sugar free candies use sweeteners that I do not tolerate so well--"sugar alcohols" (xorbitol, malitol, what have you).  Those cause significant stomach problems if I have more than a very small amount.

So if I want sweets, I have to make them myself.  Fortunately, I have a recipe for a low-carb chocolate fudge that's both tasty and easy to make.

2 8 oz packs of cream cheese
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups sugar equivalent sucralose
1 tsp vanilla extract.

Soften the cream cheese in a double boiler.  I don't have a dedicated double boiler so what I do is set a large metal mixing bowl on top of a 2 quart saucepan filled about 1/4 with water.

When the cream cheese is very soft add the remaining ingredients.  Mix together with a large spoon or spatula until smooth and uniform.

Transfer the mixture to an 8X8" baking dish and press it down to an even layer.

Place the dish into a refrigerator and chill for 1-2 hours until just firm.

Cut the fudge into squares.  I generally cut it into 64 pieces (approximately 1X1" squares).

Place it back into the refrigerator to firm up overnight.

Keep refrigerated until ready to eat.

This is the basic recipe.  For variety, I can add other things during the mixing stage--chopped nuts, unsweetened shredded coconut, peppermint oil.  The base recipe has about 1 gm of carbs per piece.  The extras can add more so use caution.

If you're not diabetic or otherwise limiting carbs, feel free to use sugar rather than sucralose.  and if sucralose bothers you but other sweeteners do not, you might try experimenting with them.  I found that sucralose works well for me so I haven't done much experimenting beyond that.

In any case.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment