The Writer in Black

The Writer in Black

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Killing your characters

Sarah Hoyt has a good piece on killing characters in fiction.  Go read it:

http://accordingtohoyt.com/2012/01/25/professional-killing/

No.  Seriously.  Go read it.

I haven't done a lot of killing of characters in my published fiction.

I’ve killed, oh, I think three people in my published fiction (well, four if you count . . . but that was a Heroes in Hell story and he was already dead so I don’t know if that counts. ;) )
The first one was in the opening scene of a story and was basically intended to set the stakes for the plot: If they don’t solve the problem people die. The other two were in “Time for Tears” (Sword & Sorceress XXVI–available now from Amazon and other fine booksellers ;) ). In that one the deaths were the climax of the story, were heavily foreshadowed and, frankly the story may have gotten a little maudlin (but the check cleared so I can’t complain too much). ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment